CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 09, 2008

Drink driving

I have been an ardent anti drink driving supporter as long as I can remember, but an incident that will stay with me for the rest of my life ocured when I was pregnant with Stef. I was in a & e after developing a few problems, in the next cubicle was a young man. Repeatedly he asked after his girlfriend, where was she, was she ok, again and again, he was frantic. Eventually we heard the doctor break the stark truth to him. She was dead. The sound that young man made was almost indescribable, it was not human, an awful animal howl, that made everyone in hearing distance cringe and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. It was only later that we found out the full story. The young man was just 19, he had recently passed his driving test and bought a car, to celebrate he and his 17 yr old girlfriend had gone for a drive into the forest, they stopped at a pub and had a couple of drinks, then set off home. Something went wrong though, I am not sure what, but the young man lost control of the car and flipped it off a bridge, landing upside down in a stream. He survived, his girlfriend died. He was fractionally over the legal drink drive limit. Fractionally , no more, but it was enough for him to be unable to deal with whatever happened to cause the accident. I often think about the young man, wonder how he is, cannot remember if he ever went to prison, but to be honest, whatever punishment was meted out, he has to live the rest of his life knowing that if he had just not drunk, the chances are his girlfriend would be alive today.

Reason I got to thinking about this though, was due to a blog I found through a friend of a friend. If my story above doesn't put you off drinking for ever, then take a look at this blog, watch the video.... but be warned, you will cry.

2 comments:

The Life of a Paed Heart Transplant Recipient said...

I watched it a few days ago and have to agree it is a very chilling video. Such a waste of life.

xxxx

Posh Totty said...

Is heartbreaking