CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 28, 2008

What is a disaster? What is a tragedy?



Disaster. Devastation. Tragic. just three of the many similar terms I have heard bandied about today in relation to the fire that has destroyed the Grand Pier at Weston Super Mare. I appreciate we are probably getting more reports about the fire than most, being as it is here in the west country!!

I am sad about it, but devastated? I think its a crying shame for the owners and local businesses who will suffer financially, but a devastating tragedy? Sorry if this offends but actually no I don't think it is. For starters, the Pier itself wouldhave been insured. So whilst there is much work ahead, it is not the end of the world. All the damage done, can be claimed back from the insurers. Nobody died. Nobody was even injured. All the damage is financial, historical at worst.

Local news reports have the fire on the pier as lead story.

Second story is of a 10 yr old boy swept away by the tide on the River Severn, he fell into the river last night. His body was found this morning. His mother had to go and identify his body. Maybe I am alone in this, but I would say that the death of a child, a normal, happy, healthy 10 yr old boy is a tragedy. devastation? Yes I think that word could be applied to his death.

Yes I am sad about the Pier, I have many great memories of the place, and I do feel pity for the businesses affected. But my tears and sympathy tonight are for a little boy, killed in the prime of life.


Is it just me or is the world a bit warped when a building burning down, is more important to the media than the ending of a childs life?

0 comments: